Recognition & Prizes
Winners of the challenge will receive recognition and prizes including:
- Up to $300 in the form of a gift certificate to a local small business of their choice:
- $100 – Prize 1: Face touching
- $100 – Prize 2: Handwashing
- $100 – Prize 3: Mask Wearing
- Honorable mentions: Entries that do not win, but demonstrate a compelling concept or solution, may receive an honorable mention.
- Winners will be announced online on June 5, 2020
- Winners will be promoted throughout the Center for Health Experience Design and Mad*Pow networks
A team of designers at Mad*Pow will be the Challenge Judges who select the winning solutions.
A Challenge Advisory Panel will provide assistance to participants on interpreting these criteria. This site will continue to be updated with answers to frequently asked questions and a Q&A webinar will be held on April 29 at Noon ET where questions may be asked and answered live.
How might this solution be built using easy-to-find materials in the home? Remember that scene from Apollo 13 when they had to build a connector using only the materials onboard? That’s the inspiration. Use those LEGOs, art supplies, kitchen utensils, 3D printers, etc. to design your solution. Hardware is not required – your solution could be a game or a points chart. Anything goes!
- Develop a solution that increases awareness of how often we touch our faces, and an intervention to prevent it.
- Find a way to make it easier (and more fun!) to wash our hands thoroughly and more often.
- Develop a solution that encourages people to wear face masks in public.
How might we change the environment to make this behavior change easier and automatic? Instead of putting up signs in the bathroom reminding people to thoroughly wash their hands, could we train our pets to bring us soap as a reminder?
We are looking for zany, inspirational ideas! Join together as a group to build and test prototypes (maintaining social distance, of course). The wilder the ideas, the better!
Have a Question?
How to Enter
(up to 2,250 words)
Describe the solution, the track it belongs to (face touching, handwashing, or mask wearing), and how it meets the entry criteria. This is your chance to explain all the details. You can tell us a story, write a poem, or something else. You can include drawing, sketches, or photos too!
(up to 3 minutes long)
Show us what your solution looks like in practice. You can simply record a video on your smartphone of the solution, or perform a skit about how the solution would work once fully built. You can also go crazy (think Kickstarter) if you love making movies.
Visual compositions of the solution
Use sketches, digital visual designs, or photography to explain your solution visually. Your visualization may take the form of a narrative—such as a storyboard or cartoon—or it may be more abstract, such as a diagram or a model. Below in the Resources section, there are some tools and templates for creating storyboards if that approach interests you.
Submit Your Design
We are looking for imaginative solutions that encourage the healthy behaviors of washing our hands, keeping our hands off our faces, and wearing face masks to maintain our health today and going forward. A complete submission contains three parts. All parts should be submitted via public links in the submission form. If there is a child on your team, please include the signed Parental / Guardian Consent Form.
Submit your design by May 29, 2020 at 11:59 pm ET. Winners will be announced on June 5, 2020.